Comment on page
January 21st 2021, San Francisco
- Review Agenda & Vote [Ben]
- Vote to approve previous minutes [Ben]
Prior to the meeting, please add items for discussion here:
- Open for public comment
- Any other business?
Scribe: Ben Ward
- Amanda Guest, Chair, Executive Director
- Caryn Kesler, Creative Director
- Tom Tierney, Vice Chair
- Ben Ward, Secretary, Technical Director
- Erika Delgado, Events Director
Vote YES to approve the December minutes.
Vote YES to adopt the proposed agenda.
- Events (Erika, Amanda)
- We’ve set up a new form to take band submissions for future Bestie Bashes. (https://bff.fm/bands)
- Q: How many people have submitted their work so far? 25 bands, so far.
- We’ve promoted it in our social media, as well as email newsletter.
- Tom will try to promote it to the Pops music community, too.
- We don’t have a great sense of band availability right now
- Taking submissions for a Valentine's Day event
- We’re looking for ways to make more use of our Twitch channel with other broadcasts/content
- We’re going to start sharing music videos that are submitted from like minded bands on our YouTube.
- Q: What is an “unlikeminded band”? Bands that we don’t currently have a show for the genre: e.g. Jazz and Blues
- Tech (Ben)
- Automation reliability remains a bit wonky, but somewhat improved
- Ben and BenGG met to discuss stats platform next step; we want to take over stream hosting so we can get raw stats data, but need to get a licensing reporting pipeline built first, which is a little complex.
- Support Us page has been brainstormed, next step is needing to sync with Caryn to start on design process.
- Board Development (Amanda)
- We might have a treasurer? Amanda spoke to someone who was really keen and set up a meeting for them with Forrest.
- At some point we’ll need a bookkeeper as well, trying to determine if those roles are something that our treasurer candidate could do.
- Seems promising, but weren’t able to arrange introduction for this month’s board meeting. Will try to set that up for next month.
- Will hopefully share bio and LinkedIn info with rest of the board soon.
- Amanda: We did great!
- We didn’t meet the goal, fell $7000 short
- We did better with corporate matching than ever before
- We think that in the context of 2020, there’s a lot of competing fundraisers, “every business has a GoFundMe.”
- Less engagement. Our email open rate was terrible, even high-profile targets simply didn’t open the email.
- Especially in that context, moving to a model where we are less dependent on these two big peak events is important.
- We finished the year in the red and had to supplement from our emergency fund. We need to look to raise $25000 more this year than last, in order to ensure we don’t do the same. We will deplete the emergency fund in 12+ months otherwise.
- Q: Moving to ongoing fundraising sounds good as a strategy. What are the tangible plans for that?
- Setting up a syncs with Josef to try and come up with a concrete plan, but there’s nothing immediately to show for that.
- Seeking additional consulting advice.
- We’ve formed a new group of volunteers to resume grant writing.
- The discounted rent will be extended, but currently trying to figure out how that would be distributed with the other tenants.
- If we can keep our rent at our current discounted rate it remains competitive with getting storage elsewhere. If it increases, we need to revisit whether we can keep two studios there.
- Tom: Emphasise that we should consider what the absolute financial benefit is of us if we pull out of a studio.
- We don’t have the financial resources at this time to consider moving/building out another space.
- With trying to create a structure to have additional fundraisers throughout the year, considering the events we might organize around. Two big tentpole events, 3-4 medium events (e.g. the gala, birthday celebrations), and then a smattering of small one-off events (e.g. a video broadcast, Facebook fundraiser, home-hosted mini-event.)
- Try to be flexible with time to fit around the schedules of people who would run each activities.
- Tom has determined these will be named “Tinytivities”.
- We want to try and fill out a schedule for these activities — each board member will try to come up with one.
- How can we get more of the DJ community involved in this, especially to host Tinitivities?
- Maybe use the board member ideas to kickstart launching it to the community.
- Report is drafted, all board members please read it and send feedback to Amanda before Sunday.
- Caryn: I’ve compiled all the feedback for Amanda’s annual review, the board just need to meet to finalize it. Booking time for Wednesday 27th to do that.
- Come up with a “tinytivity” idea, and when you’d be able to host it. Deadline: 2 weeks.
- Review the annual report before this weekend so that it can be sent out next week. Feedback by Sunday.